Blue Grass Energy is preparing for severe winter weather. Forecasters are calling for a combination of ice and snow.
All Blue Grass Energy personnel will be on standby, ready to be dispatched to restore power if outages occur.
During an outage, crews will work to restore power to the largest number of people first. After transmission and distribution lines are repaired, the crews work on problems in smaller neighborhoods or at individual homes.
BGEnergy is asking all members to prepare for the worst. Members should have an emergency kit assembled and be prepared to be without power for several days. Now is the time to prepare before the potential storm.
- Styrofoam coolers to preserve food
- Ice to keep food cold
- Water—one gallon per person, per day
- Food—non-perishable, easy to prepare
- Extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Cell phone with charger
- Family and emergency contacts
Additional Safety Tips:
- Stay away from downed power lines or damaged electrical equipment. Touching energized lines can lead to injuries or death; call BGEnergy immediately if you see downed lines. Remember, energized lines don’t always spark or show any indication that electricity is running through them.
- If you use a portable generator, never run it inside your home or garage. Some produce carbon monoxide fumes, which can be deadly.
- Make sure you know how to properly hook up your portable generator. Incorrect use, such as attaching the generator directly to a building’s electrical system can energize the wiring system for great distances, creating the risk for electrocution to utility workers in the area.
The cooperative is also encouraging members to proactively download their free app, available in the App Store and Google Play. The app allows members to report service interruptions and view real-time restoration information.
Resources for Members:
- To report an outage, download the BGEnergy app, or call 888-655-4243. Phone lines may experience an influx of calls during a major outage.
- Up-to-date outage information will be posted on our website at bgenergy.com, Facebook, and Twitter pages. WE CANNOT TAKE OUTAGE REPORTS BY FACEBOOK OR TWITTER. Real-time outage information is available at ‘Outage Central.’