Like any other source of electricity, solar panels can pose potential hazards. Keep these safety tips in mind when you're near solar panels.
A variety of hazards are associated with roof-mounted and free standing solar systems. Be aware of the following:
- Shock or electrocution from contacting wiring
- Inhalation of toxic smoke from burning solar panels
- Roof collapse from weight of solar arrays
- Injury and endangerment of others from walking on, tripping, and falling on solar panels
Remain at least 10 feet away from a solar installation.
- Never walk on solar panels.
- Never cut conduit or the solar system’s electrical wiring.
- Never break a panel or contact a damaged system.