Although far less common than drowning, electrocution in or near a swimming pool takes the lives of a small handful of people every year. One was a 7-year-old boy who was electrocuted by a faulty pool light.
Here are a few tips for preventing electrical accidents while you’re enjoying your pool:
Keep TVs, radios and extension cords far away from the water.
Have your pool equipment inspected and maintained every season. Faulty, malfunctioning or improperly installed equipment—like pool lights—can be hazardous.
Have the pool inspected when it is first installed—or before you buy a new house that comes with an already-installed pool.
Don’t do your own electrical work on your pool lights or other electrical components. Call a licensed electrician.
Keep electrical devices and cords at least five feet away from the edge of the pool.
Look for signs of trouble, like flickering lights or equipment that performs erratically.
If a swimmer is twitching or unresponsive, it’s possible the water is electrified.
Make a plan in case someone gets electrocuted at the pool. You’re less likely to panic if you know exactly what to do: turn off the power, clear the pool area without touching anything metal; and call an ambulance.